Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Heart of the Slothful

As I was reading the daily Proverb this morning, when I got to verses 30-34, I read them and then read them again and honestly don't know how many more times I reread them. Every month I read Proverbs through- a chapter for everyday since most months have about 31 days. So, these verses are not new to me. Today however, I really understood them.


Pro 24:30 I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding;
Pro 24:31 And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down.
Pro 24:32 Then I saw, and considered it well: I looked upon it, and received instruction.
Pro 24:33 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
Pro 24:34 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.


In our house, we've been discussing slothfulness, aka laziness, a lot as of late. We have trouble in this area from our youngest straight through to myself. Oh, now I'm busy from the time I wake until my head hits the pillow and my eyes shut, but I can still be lazy. My children, some more than others suffer from being slothful daily, too. In these verses, Solomon says that he went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding. He says that it was overgrown with thorns and nettles and that you couldn't see the front of it and the wall had fallen. He looked at it twice and thought about it, and then received instruction.


I think that my children are my field and vineyard and that when I am lazy in training them, and don't take the time to understand the necessity for training because I'm too busy with everyday life etc., that they become overgrown with thorns and nettles, and I can't see their precious faces anymore. I don't take the time to stop and look them in the eyes when they're speaking because I'm cleaning, cooking, tending to another child, whatever the circumstances are. The children's souls become broken from this lack of interaction. I say, "Oh tomorrow, I'll play with them or do that project with them," but the need I feel to get all the housework and chores done, takes away that time I should be giving them. The walls begin to break and leave the children exposed.


I am a gardener and know that a garden and vineyard need care. If they are not tended to, there will be no, or little fruit. There have been many times over the years that I have let my garden go or a newly planted bush, and just in the nick of time, I tended to it, and was able to save it. Our children can be thought of in this manner, also. We are responsible for their care and spiritual growth. We need to be watchful for those things which may become thorns and nettles for our children. What those thorns are, are different for every child, but nonetheless, they are our vineyards and left in our care whether you like gardening or not! It's up to us to help steer them away from slothfulness as best we can, and help them have understanding and eventually teach them how to bear fruit. We can't neglect them and let them start to whither and let the weeds and thorns creep in.


Each of us are the Lord's field and vineyard. Are we slothful in our heart? Are we trying to get every last minute of sleep before we wake in the morning, when we should be arising early to meet with the Lord? Are we void of understanding? Are we being busy about the Lord's business or ours? Are we loving each other with Christ's love?


I think we can all read this passage and apply it to our own lives. We are all guilty. None of us will ever be perfect, but by God's grace and mercy, we have hope and can keep pressing on.



Pro 15:19 The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.



Pro 18:9 He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster.



Pro 26:14 As the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful upon his bed.


Heb 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

And I was hoping to sleep in tomorrow. Thanks, Cheryl!:)