Monday, August 8, 2011

Little House Days

Every year my daughters and I look forward to the first week in August. That is because we can go to Laura Ingalls Wilder Days at the Genesee Country Village & Museum. I know living back in the day was a lot of work, but there's just something I love about it and I would've liked to have been alive back then. Maybe it's the simplicity of life, the beautiful outfits they wore, or maybe the behavior of children and adults alike back then. Regardless, this year Sarah and I spent the mornings last week sewing away while the 4 other kids were at Vacation Bibe School. We ended up with 2 beautiful dresses that we needed to literally squeeze our way into! The next size up on the pattern would've given us a little more breathing room I think! Lol! Despite our cramped conditions, we made it through the day! Every year they have a different character from the Little House Series  come to visit. This year it was Lindsey & Sidney Greenbush - the twins who played Carrie on the show. Unfortunately, I just have this one picture of them. Not a good one but oh well! It was a fun day!


Gotta love this one!


The next pet Courtney wants!


Micah making cornmeal flour.

Checking out the oxen.


Pretending to be a school teacher. LOL!

"Willie" in the corner!

Lindsey & Sidney Greenbush

Looking for a button in the haystack.

Making rope.


Walking through the village.

Contemplating life long ago I guess!

Playing old time games.




"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;" Ecclesiastes 9:10

5 comments:

Mom said...

Very nice.. the dress look great even if they were a bit snug. Looks like you all had fun.. Micah looks like he could be one of them back in the day!! :-)

Unknown said...

Isn't it so fun. We go to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Days in Pepin each year. Our girls have a blast. But coming up with all the clothes is a challenge. It sure pays off in the end though!!

Victoria said...

I just read the Wilder Life...pretty interesting (if you can get by the swear words).

This year, we've been so busy the girls wanted to stay home and relax!!! Um, yeah, a bit TOO busy, I guess.

Looks like you all had a great time! You do so much work on your outfits & always look great!

Cinnamon said...

Hello Cheryl!!! It's been too long! I love your dresses. What a seamstress you are!! The girls look wonderful in their outfits.

Did Sarah have a nice birthday? Gracie did. 14!! Can you believe it? Loving this age and time with my girl. She's such a blessing to me.

Miss you~ Cinnamon

Kimberly said...

Love all your Little House Days pictures!! The outfits looked fabulous and very nicely sewn. ☺ This was back in August....Wow. I miss summer already!