Sunday, July 19, 2009

Crop Sharing

So after a rest last season from growing a garden, the kids and I decided to go big and try to grow enough to have a stand at the end of our driveway. So we started planting seeds indoors in early spring to get a jump start on the season and save a little money by not buying plants. Everything went along well and all the plants and seeds were finally in the ground. Yeah! Unfortunately, I have become disappointed in this years garden. :o( The tomato plants are growing, very slowly, at this rate it will be November before there are tomatoes, the pepper plants haven't even grown an inch I don't think since I planted them, nor the cucumber plants! Most of the beans didn't germinate, the melon plants are dinky and the pumpkins? Maybe all 5 kids will be able to share ONE pumpkin this year. No pies from the garden. :o(

There does seem to be a bit of life doing well however amongst those other measly plants - the peas, lettuce and potatoes have done great this year. At least I'm harvesting something!:o)

My diagnosis? Not enough sunlight. Our trees have grown a lot it seems over the last year and the sun does not even hit my garden until lunch time at the earliest. Thus leaving the garden without enough light. With the cooler temperatures this year and more shade, that would explain why the peas and lettuce are thriving.

My pain has been eased though through the kindness of our neighbor who also has a love for gardening and gets carried away like myself! Her garden is beautiful and full of plenty for both of us and then some!! :o) She is more than happy to share her bounty with us!

So what do you do with a wagon full of cukes??? Make pickles, of course! When Dan and I were teenagers we went to his Grandma's house every year and wold help her make Icicle Pickles. They were delicious! It was a 2 week process though so you needed patience! This is a tried and true old time recipe that will hopefully carry on from generation to generation.

Day One~
Cut lots of cucumbers to fill the crock.


Get a 5 gallon crock ~ This one was Dan's Grandma's that she wanted me to have after she passed away.

Add canning salt to boiling water. Make sure it's canning salt not regular salt or else after all your hard work, they'll go bad on you. Yup, I learned that one from experience!!


Pour boiling water and salt over cucumbers ~



Stir and then let sit for 7 days, stirring daily~


You'll have to check back for updates on our delicious Icicle Pickles~
Until then, I am grateful God blessed us with wonderful friends and neighbors who like to share!
"...Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, There is none other commandmet greater than these." Mark 12:31

4 comments:

Cinnamon said...

What a great post! Seems our garden is growing like yours except they have plenty of sunlight? Hmmmm..wonder what's up?

Kids look great. Where a picture of Mama? :-)

~Cinnamon

Unknown said...

Now here's an idea. Wonder if it will work on the tons of zucchini I am getting. I get like 9 a day. Oh boy. What to do with them all.

Cheryl said...

Cinnamon,
I don't know why our gardens aren't growing! Oh well!

Tricia,
I've been making up zuchinni bread and freezing it. My recipe makes 3 loaves at a time so I should have enough fairly soon to enjoy in the dead of winter! Yum! :o)

j said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I remember you used to be on my blog list and I would check in all the time and just thought you werent blogging anymore. Glad to see you are. I will add you again and come visit more!! Bless you. Yummy food by the way :)
Jessica