I am realizing after 7 years of homeschooling that there are some things I take for granted. The biggest thing I think, is just the freedom to school my children, period. I have been fortunate that the 2 school districts we've lived in have been very easy going. The only issue there has been was 2 years ago when I submitted what form of annual assessment I was going to use for Sarah. I had told the district I would be administering the PASS(Personalized Assessment Summary System) Test. The Superitendant sent me a letter saying that this test was not approve by the State Education Department of New York and I would have to use a different one. Now, I follow all the regulations that the law requires but nothing more. I do not use the districts forms for my quarterlys, IHIP's etc.. It is not required by the law and most of the time, they ask for information that we do not need to give them. I always have my reports in on time, with the exception of a year and a half ago when I was horribly sick with the flu and just could not get my reports in. I called the school though and informed them my reports would be late and the lady was so kind and understandig and said that it was no big deal. But if I was going to be a month late or so, a heads up would be nice. Even though she told me that, I do not take advantage of her kindness and stick to the regulations. I think it is very important and also gives homeschoolers a good name as oppossed to being tardy with our reports.
Okay, getting back to what I was saying! When I received that letter from the superindentent, I immediately called HSLDA(Homeschool Legal Defense Association). All I had to do was fax them the letter and they took care of everything for me. Within a few days I received a letter again from the superintendent apologizing and saying that he did not realize the PASS Test was approved by the State Education Department because he had never heard of it. All it took was one phone callby me to straighten things out. :o)
I am surprised that there are many homeschoolers that either have never heard of HSLDA or know of it, but just aren't members. What I say to them is, "Would you drive a car around without insurance?" Of course the answer is no, so then I ask, "so why would you homeschool without insurance?" What is more important than protecting your children, your family? That'sprobably one of the reasons you homeschool in the first place, right? Perhaps people have no idea just what really goes on around the United States in regards to homeschooling families. I have read enough articles and court cases to know that no one is exempt from something like this becoming a possibility in their life. Unfortunately, it's only getting worse in this country. So, for $115 a year you can have peace of mind knowing that the lawyers and other staff members at HSLDA will be there for you should the need arise. Just like everyday when you drive your car you know you're insured. By the way, I was able to speak with a Special Needs Coordinator at HSLDA in regards to my son, and she was so very helpful in diagnosing his problem and is helping me correct it. Check out their website for more information about them, homeschooling news, and a wealth of helpful articles from your struggling learner to homeschooling through high school. It's definitely worth it!! www.hslda.org
Just my two cents for the day!!! No, I am not getting paid to say all this, I just really feel strongly that all homeschooling families should join HSLDA! :o)
Psalm 61:3 "For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy."
2 comments:
What great reminder of HSLDA. They are good aren't they~ Good for you for tooting their horn~
Glad to see ya posting and I love your blog background~
~Cinnamon
I had to laugh at your----I am not getting paid to say this!!! Too bad though, a good way to make some extra bucks. I have known about HSLDA for years and for some dumb reason I just procrastinate joining them. But I believe we will this year. Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment