Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Million Dollars

Do you ever say or wish you had a million dollars? I do! Of course, I always add to that statement, especially when I'm talking to my children, that even people who really do have a miilion dollars are not always happy. Quite the contrary actually, but right about now, I sure do think it'd be nice!

Last night at church at the end of our Awana ceremony, our commander said that he was placing some of the million dollar tracts on the table, and the children could all take a few as long as they promised to give them out. All my children took some and thought they were pretty neat.



Throughout the day today my son talked about where and who he might give them to. As we were leaving our driveway tonight to go to Dan's softball game, we stopped to say hello to our new neighbors that were out walking. David handed the boy the tract to which the mom said to give it back, they've had those before from the JW's. Something about asking are you saved she said. I said to that I didn't think it would've been from them as I don't think they believe in salvation. She obviously was not impressed by a million dollars! The boy never did give it back though but instead, shoved it in his pocket. LOL!

So off we went to Dan's softball game armed with millions of dollars! Nobody though was brave enough to physically hand a million dollar tract to anyone! We went to Wendy's to eat afterwards and the kids brought the tracts in with them. After eating they were strategically placing them around - in the straw holder, on top of the tray returns, and on the tables. While we were there a man commented on my Awana shirt I was wearing and that sparked a conversation. They were a nice older couple, obviously Christian. During the conversation the kids told me that someone just took their million dollars! I looked in time to hear the person say, "yo, yo, yo, a million dollars!" All the children giggled and watched as the two people read it while walking to their car. Another tract was set in the same spot and a man throwing out his garbage saw it, took it and gave it to his daughter. Again, my children watched while this teenager sat reading it. They loved it!

In the van on the way home, my youngest, Micah, asked for his "money" back. I only had one left for him and he started crying. He didn't understand and thought we were just giving something of his away. I tried explaining that the million dollars were to tell people about Jesus but he still wasn't happy about it. By the time we got home though he decided that he, along with Sam, wanted to put their "money" in the mailbox for the mailman! Still not really sure he understands, but it's a step in the right direction. :o)

I think it was a productive evening sowing seeds for God and I just pray that my children will grow up to continue their enthusiasm for telling others about our Saviour, and one day, be witnesses of His love, mercy and forgiveness.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth..." Romans 1:16

"And He said unto them, Go ye in to all the world and preach the gospel to every living creature." Mark 16:15

No comments: