I want to talk about the influence of toys, books, tv, and video games on children. I've always been careful what my children watch, what toys they play with, books they read etc.. I get very upset when there's a "good" show on and some sort of magic(ie - fortune teller, magic wand etc.) comes on. Why is it that the most innocent shows have to have this thrown in?! Though I shouldn't really be surprised as these are "worldly" shows most likely created by unsaved people! In addition to tv programming, the most popular toys are all superheros, sci-fi characters, characters involved in witchcraft, violence, and so forth, who children idolize and model their play after. Am I the only one out there who sees this? Am I the only one who screens what toys are brought into their house? Sometimes, actually most of the time, I feel I am. I am a christian mother who wants what's best for her kids according not only to my opinions, but to God's! I'm tired of feeling like I'm the odd man(woman) out all the time.
I have not, nor will I, buy any of the above mentioned things. My children do not have anything with a superhero on it, nothing which involves witchcraft etc.. I will not allow it. I do not see how imitating these characters can teach our children good and bring glory to God.
I'm thankful my children know what aisles to avoid in the store just by a quick glance. As christian parents God says we are to bring our children up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. God says we are to "Abstain from all appearances of evil." I Thess. 5:22 and "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes..." Psalm 101:3 Do you mean to tell me that one cannot tell, by looking at something, that it's questionable, evil or demonic?? My 5 year old can decipher most toys as being good or bad! Are parents just ignorant, too busy with life, or do they just not care? Do they think that because they are "churched" that they have an automatic shield protecting them from this stuff?
Unfortunately, there is a huge number of christian parents supporting Satan. They are supporting him and his evil works by purchasing these items and helping the companies which create them, rich and in turn, giving Satan a foothold in their child/rens life. That's how I see it anyway. Why are there so many parents being nonchalent with supporting the toy, book, movie, and video game manufacturers? It's crazy! Are they afraid their children might be bored without these things or maybe feel left out because "everybody's got it?!"
When some new toys came out a few years back, my kids had heard about them from their friends and I looked at them in the store. I thought they looked evil and so I did my homework. I went home and looked up on the internet what they were all about. I got info directly from the manufacturer website and sure enough they revolved around a spiritual, demonic world. Do I believe that bringing items into your house like this can be worrisome? Definitely! God warns about evil spirits and such in the Bible. We once had a play monster truck in our house - Grave Digger was the name on it along with skulls etc.. My son liked to play with it and I hadn't really got a good look at it at first, but when I did, I took it away and put it in a closet. It really bothered me being there, but as someone spent money on it, I didn't want to waste their money. It ended up that I'd rather waste their money than have that creepy looking thing in my house or in my sons hands! It found the dumpster quickly! Give children gothic things like that when they're young and they'll grow accostomed to it. Have you noticed all the girls clothing that has skulls and bones on it all prettied up with flowers, pastel colors etc.? Anything with a skull on it reminds me of the devil and "the dark side" so why try to make it all pretty and innocent. Now I know that this is my opinion but really, look at what kind of people on the street are wearing items like this? Are they people you'd want your children to befriend? Just as people try to make halloween cute and innocent, there is nothing cute or innocent about it! Look it up! Take the time to really know how it originated! I truly believe that by bringing evil demonic items in your house can also bring just that in!
"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Ephesians 6:11-13
We are told to "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8
Are the toys, videos, games and books you or your children are watching true, honest, just, pure, lovely, etc.?
There's popular movies and toys out there that talk about "the dark side" and people having powers etc.. That bothers me as I think of "the dark side" as involving Satan and his realm. When we allow children to watch this foolishness, what thoughts are we really putting in their mind? I understand some may say, "you're too picky, " or "taking things too far." But am I? We all need to be entertained by something or someone, but God talks a lot about foolishness and how it is bound in the heart of a child. Can we agree that most of what's out there for entertainment is considered foolishness? Just because we are christians does not mean that we can not have fun. But God says we are to be seperate from the world. "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you." II Corinthians 6:17
Jesus says, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12
The Bible also goes on to say, "This is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light , as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 5-7
If we are caught up in the world's darkness then we will not be able to do what God wants us to. That is be a light to unbelievers and especially to our children. "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." II Cor. 4:5-6
I am a simple person. I do not have any phd, never been to college and do not proclaim to be wiser or holier than anybody else. I am a God fearing woman who is trying to raise her children up for the Lord. I care about what others think of me and don't want to be made fun of and as I said earlier, don't like confrontation, so therefore keep my mouth shut about alot of things. However, I do realize that some of the statements I may have made are my preferences and opinions, but I do know that one day, I will have to stand before the Lord and will be held accountable for everything I say and do or don't for that matter. You will, too. My children are my responsibility to raise for the Lord.
Remember, God said, "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into the marvellous light:" and "As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for i am holy." I Peter 1:14-16
This is in no way a complete list of scriptures or even all my thoughts on this subject. My intent however, is to make you think of what comes into your house through television, toys, books, clothing etc. and consider it carefully. If you don't really know what something is all about, then hold off until you do. There is no higher calling than to be a parent and raise up seed for the one who gave His life for yours.
"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." I John 4:10
2 comments:
Great post Cheryl. It is extremely important to monitor these things. Many of which are the tools of the adversary to thwart our children away from God's plan for them. We do not have tv and what a blessing that has been. We do have ways to watch movies though via our computer but that is so easy to regulate! My husband was just "thinking out loud" the other day when we were in town and so many people were wearing Green Bay Packer game tshirts with the names of players on them. WHY, he asked, do we feel like people need to wear things like that? Who cares who Brett Farve is, or Brittany Spears, or any of those people. Their just people.
I think maybe it's a bit of low self esteem or something. Does wearing clothing smeared with other people's name on them somehow make us think we are them? Or like them? Good grief!
blessings,
tricia
I agree with you, Tricia. I feel that we have to be very careful because too many people begin to idolize these "stars". Especially children. For example, I was seeing Hannah Montana on everything - school supplies, clothes, toys, cosmetics etc.. I also noticed that young children, 4 and 5 years old were all about Hannah Montana. So, I decided to watch the show one night to see what the big attraction was to this girl. I couldn't believe first of all, that it was a teeny bopper show! What on earth would little kids like about it?! Anyway, it was all about dating and her father was dating some new lady and all that goes along with that! I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the shows theme as the world is teaching it's ok to start dating young. After all, isn't that what life's all about?! (that's sarcasm by the way!)
We need to be very careful our children are not following these people but instead have them emulate Christ, hopefully through our examples as parents. It's important that we have our children's hearts and not some unsaved mortal being!
Post a Comment