We toured our old high school with our children and it's changed so much. The renovations that have occured since we were there are incredible. Everything from the stadium outside to new wings, gyms, cafeteria, computer lab, weight room with tv's, smartboards etc.. The current principle said they are getting rid of all VHS tapes and soon DVD's will be a thing of the past because you can get most things online now. Same with books. I was wondering if one day there will actually not be any libraries the way things are going! I can't imagine life without a library. I sometimes even miss the old card catalogs where you actually had to thumb through cards in a drawer to find what you were looking for! Do kids today even know what a card catalog is???
As we were touring the school, I noticed signs that said, "free zone." I was wondering what that meant until the principle said that they have to keep changing the rules for cell phone use in the school. Oh yes, cell phones! Every child has one of those now, right?! How on earth did I get by 20 years ago in high school without a cell phone?! Ah, yes, I either had to go to the counselors office, attendance office or even use the big black thing on the wall called a pay phone! Quarter anyone?! Back when I was in school we got in trouble for passing notes. Today, I'm sure kids get in trouble for texting eachother or playing on their ipods, ipads and whatever else all those other electronic things are called!
Times sure have changed and while I do enjoy having a laptop, cell phone, and yes, sometimes even the DVR to record The Duggars or Extreme Couponing, I am sad to know that our lives have been overcome by the electronic age. Do our children even know how to write a letter and mail it anymore? Did you ever think there'd come a time where you're child would get bullied by something electronic(cyber bullying)???
Truth be told, I would give up the convinence of my cell phone, laptop, and DVR to go back to the way things used to be. I like the more simple way of life. I like my life and my family's not being controlled by something electronic 24/7. What has this world come to when there are teenagers in a room texting eachother instead of talking with their God given mouths??? I think it's total insanity! Communication, REAL communication is becoming a thing of the past. I'm scared. And yes, I'm sure I am looked upon as being the one who's insane because I am not going for all this new technology, but so be it! I'm glad none of my children have cell phones, laptops, ipods, DS or such. Remember in the past it was, "Well, Suzy gets to do this," and our parents would say,"If Suzy jumped off a bridge, would you?" Well, that's how I feel with all the previously mentioned things as far as my children go. Money doesn't buy happiness and neither do all these electronic gadgets! They just destroy a family's ability to truly communicate and bond.
By the way, did I say that I'm so glad I homeschool my children??!!! :o)
"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world." Titus 2:11-12
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8
| Our Senior Ball Picture |
| Can't find our actual graduation picture together to save my life! It's here somewhere! LOL! This picture is after our graduation ceremony. Dan had already changed, as you can see. |
1 comment:
Yes, 20 years seems to have flown right by - it's nearly 25 years since my graduation now! OH MY! Times have surely changed, and I would definitely give a great deal to have my children grow up in the world I grew up in. I'm sure when we were growing up though, Dad and Mom had plenty of their own moments to think, "what is this world coming to?" with some of our fashions, trends, music and more!
Post a Comment