If you know me at all, you've probably heard me say at one time or another that I don't like Mondays! I honestly don't know if it's all psychological or not... :o) Well, today was "one of those days." One of those Mondays I love so much! (That's sarcasm by the way)!
Today started off as usual, I woke up and showered, and read the Bible. Now that I am typing this though, I think that maybe that's the problem today. I usually read before I get out of bed because the kids are usually still sleeping and it's quiet. When I read, I had some children awake and I really don't remember what I read today! I'll have to correct that tomorrow! Anyway, I made breakfast and told the kids they had to do their "core" subjects(math, reading & language) and then they could go outside because it was going to be so nice today. 85 degreees in April in Western New York is a blessing indeed! The kids were doing school and I was finishing up dishes and starting laundry. My goal was to be outside at 10am. I wanted to get a full day of yard work in. I think setting a time was a bad idea! The kids that had finished their school were given jobs to help things go faster so we could all go out. Sarah put in a load of laundry, someone was sweeping, and I asked David to open some windows in the family room. As he was opening one he had said that the outside hose faucet was leaking all over. I went to the window to look and am rationalizing this in my head thinking that Dan haden't yet turned on the water shut off in the basement for that one yet, when it dawned on me - AAAHHH! The washer!!! I run into the laundry room to find it flooded but no water in the laundry tub(where the water discharges). Again, my brain finally says, "turn off the washer," as I hear water pouring all over the floor still! Seems that by some miracle, the discharge hose disconnected itself from the edge of the laundry tub to just hang there and let water go everywhere!(sarcasm...again!) Thus the clean up began and oh yeh, getting outside at 10am, that didn't happen! Try 11:30 am!
It was all downhill from there. There was mess after mess, squabbling everytime I turned around, complaints galore, "I'm hot, so and so did this, there's nothing to do" and so on. I went next door to the farm to fill up the tractor wagon with mulch and that became a production. Then it was lunch time, then I had to take the girls to piano. While they were there I wanted to go to the Garden Factory to get a few things but I didn't have the debit card so I had to stop at Dan's work to get that. "Oh, and by the way honey, in my hurry leaving the house, I kind of left the money on the shelf by the door to pay for lessons. Can I have some more cash?" Off to the Garden Factory - a very dangerous place for someone like me! I did pretty good though and managed to walk out of there with a box of seed potatoes, 3- 6 packs of impatiens for the flower boxes on the side of the garage, plant markers and rose spray(which is why I went there in the first place). Then it was back to get the girls, drop books off at the library, and off to home.
Okay, now to get some work done! I went to get the tractor key out of the change holder in the van(I had put it there because I left the tractor outside when we left - it had the cart full of mulch attached and I didn't want to disconnect it). Great, where's the key? It's gone. "Kids? Where is the tractor key that was in the van???" I ask. "I didn't take it, I don't know..." Now I am leaving out other tidbits that have gone on all day, so at this point I don't know if I am losing my mind or what! Finally I ask my precious 3 year old, "Are you sure you didn't take the tractor key?" "I did, " he says. "Can you show me where it is?" I ask him. "In the hole in the van, " he says. "Hole? WHAT HOLE???" So off we go to the van. For the next 15 minutes or so, while sweating buckets in the van, I finally fish the key out from behind a panel where the seat belt comes out! Right where Micah said it was - "in the hole in the van." Mind you, last weekend we spent a long time looking for both tractor keys he decided to put somewhere after he was done playing with them with his play tractor. We found one in the closet and I found the other in the bottom of the washer when I took a load out! 3 year old boys and their imaginations! I don't think he'll be touching any more tractor keys...
So I was hurring up to get things done because now I had a softball meeting at 7pm and I had to get dinner. My girls planted the impatiens in the window boxes and I went to the garden to plant the potatoes with David. Wish I could've taken pictures to document it, but it was a bit hectic. Don't know why I didn't think of that! LOL!
I come in the house to find my 5 year old has been very busy! Leaving a trail of bowls with water from the kitchen sink to the deck, (to give the cat(outdoor one) a drink), the girls rollers in the bathroom sink floating in water, windex under the boys bed(that must've been Micah's doing - he loves cleaning with that stuff), a trail of shirts in the boys room which means Sam was picking out a new one, a bag of doritos in the living room, pencils in the couch and my brain can't remember anymore! He is in a very mischievous, messy pattern these days! It's driving me bonkers!! Everytime he eats, he makes the biggest mess! It's crazy! HELP!
So after inhaling our dinner, it's off to my meeting. I had plans to drop my children off to a friends close by before the meeting so we head there. After getting everyone out of the van, I ring the doorbell. A dog barks inside. At this point, Micah, who's petrified of dogs(another story in and of itself), practically climbs up my body to put a death grip on my neck and cries to get in the van and go home! So, I ring again. Nothing. My brain begins working again - "oh," it says, "there's no car here." Nobody but the dog was home. Pile everyone back in the van and bring them to my meeting. Guess other people were without sitters too because there ended up being 9 kids total there!
I came home right after as I had to get laundry off the line before it got too dark and the dampness got it all wet again. When I came in from gathering that, Sam was brushing his teeth. He's into cleaning his teeth until they sparkle and squeak these days! Somehow there was toothpaste droppings on the rug and counter and when I went to put toothpaste on the other kids brushes, a very watered down toothpaste splashes all over the rug and sink. Again, another mess to clean!
Thank the Lord, everyone went right to sleep and here I am telling you all about it! I feel better now having let it all out - or most of it anyway. Another Monday to add to my list of Mondays I've made it through, gone. Until next week that is!
By the way, did I mention my dishwasher quit today, too?????
2Corithians 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
3 comments:
OH MY!!! What a day. I had to laugh as I read it b/c we have many days like that. It is a good test of "how am I going to respond to all of this?" (alot of the times, its the wrong way - ugh!)
I was laughing and then I was exhausted by the end of it. Thanks for sharing your day!
I found your blog one day and am now following it. I enjoy it and when I read this I laughed because we moms just know! Thank you for sharing.
Jessica
Cheryl~ I'm so glad you're blogging again. Now I can keep up with your beautiful family.
Everyone has grown up so much. Looking forward to visiting regularly~ cinnamon
Post a Comment